F is for Family

I think family is the most important thing that we can have, in the whole world.  These are the people who know us best, who love us unconditionally, who we can go to (and they to us), for any reason, and get the support we need.  

Unfortunately, families aren't always like this.  My family is great, but we have our problems and our share of letdowns.

I come from, what is considered, a broken family.  My Mum and Dad divorced years ago.  I don't consider this to be the case though.  I come from a family which is slightly separated, but still a close family unit.  I am as close to my Dad as he has allowed me to be, I can phone him at any time, I know he loves me and my children, and I could ask him for anything, but he makes no real effort to be a part of our lives.  He doesn't call to ask how the kids are, these are his grandchildren, but I have accepted that it will be his loss in the end.  I am almost sure he is the same with my other siblings, who live away from Lithgow, but I am sure it is not the case with Ryan.  This may just be because they see more of each other.  It doesn't really bother me too much.

Mum, as I am sure I have said before, is the best mother in the whole world.  She is smart and confident and so full of life.  At 64 years young, she has so much energy and she really lives life.  She is more active than I am.  She is not afraid to try new things, she will give everything of herself for anyone who needs her, and she will drop everything if I need her for something.  I don't get to see her as much as I would love to, but we have the best relationship.  We have never had a period where we haven't been able to talk to each other about what is going on.  I must admit, I don't always tell her everything, (sorry Mum), because I know how much she worries, and sometimes I just don't want her to.  I couldn't ask for a better role model, or a more loving friend.  She is my rock, and my inspiration.

Mum married Ray in 1996, and they are the perfect couple.  Now I know they fight and argue and do things that just seem crazy to each other sometimes, but they have common interests, common goals, and they love each other so much.  I love Ray, every bit as much as I love Dad, more maybe.  He has been a constant in my life from 16 years of age.  He stood by Mum during all the bad times, and he will go out of his way to make sure things are good.  He will help me with anything I need help with, even if he has to find out how to do it.  He and Mum are happy, in their new "old" house, and I am happy too.  They have a great relationship with my children, and Ryan's.  

My oldest brother chose, many years ago, to remove himself and his family from our lives.  Ryan, my younger but not youngest brother, is married to Shona, and they have two beautiful children, Paige and Lachlan, and another on the way.  Ryan and I speak to each other, but we have never been close.  

Kyle, as you know from my previous post, is currently in Scotland.  He is the closest of all my siblings.  I have always gotten on better with him.  We are very similar in some ways, and very different in others, but we seem to compliment each other extremely well.  I miss him so much.

I say siblings in this post, although it used to be brothers.  Because I had three brothers.  When Mum and Dad were going through their divorce I discovered I had a half-sister, Nicole.  Dad was married before he married Mum.  It was never hidden, but I guess I may not have paid much attention at the time.  Nicole and I have been talking quite a bit lately, on Facebook, and I have met her just three tmes.  I am hoping to catch up in the next few weeks, and meet her children, my nieces and nephews, and for her to meet my family.  So, whilst I am not close to Nicole yet, I feel that there is definitely the potential for a closer relationship.

Now, I come to my family.  My relationship with Mick has just past the thirteen year mark, and we have three beautiful children.  I am so lucky to have three healthy and happy children, and I am forever thankful for that.  I would love another child, but it has been decided that that is not to be.  I love Mick so much, despite our many ups and downs, and the fact that we are so incredibly incompatible.  We still work, because we still love each other, and I hope that that will never change.  We have been lax lately in our family activities, and I am hoping that we will change that over the coming months.  We are planning to go camping lots, once we get to Spring.

Anyway, that is my family.  I also have a wonderful, if sometimes frustrating MIL, and a great SIL, Ann who will be back from Spain in late July, and who the children love and miss so much.  There is also Granddad and Marie, who are coming to visit today, and who I get on with so well that they are visiting, even though Mick won't be here today.

Families are strange and wonderful, and I am so unbelievably lucky to have such a wonderful and supportive family, who I love more than anything in the entire world. 

Comments

Popular Posts