A move to a simpler life.

Over the past three months, since I rediscovered the Simple Savings Website, I have been making the move towards a simpler way of living. I have cut our grocery shopping down by about $150 a week, and I have been saving around $400 a month. Our bill budget is all in order, and we are finally getting above water with the bills.


I am now starting to work towards a more self-sufficient way of life..... living life more simply. We have recently started a vegetable garden, but as I am really, really, really hopeless with gardening, it is not as good as it could be. I have got a lot of information from the net on vegie gardening, and I am finally starting to get it. I have big plans for the rest of the yard, and this weekend I am going to buy a compost bin, and maybe (depending on the budget) a 150litre water tank, for the garden.


I have started to look at how much water we are wasting, so I have buckets in the shower to catch the water before it gets hot, and then I use this water to water the garden in the afternoon. Sometimes I forget, but I have been pretty good at it in the last week.


Also the amount of rubbish we produce has been worrying me a lot. I have managed to cut our rubbish down quite a bit, but with the compost bin, and later a worm farm, I could cut it down even more. I am recycling a lot more consciously, and this week I am going to make a conscious effort to buy less non-recyclable packaging. If I could only find a bulk food store around the Western Sydney area, for flour, yeast etc.


Today I baked this beautiful loaf of bread, and it was so easy. I am going to do this everyday, and see if I come out cheaper than buying it. I know there will be less packaging, which will be an added bonus.

Comments

Kez said…
You sound like you're doing great! The bread looks very yummy :)

Popular Posts