Almost ultrasound time

Next Monday I will be having the "routine" 20 week ultrasound. I actually wasn't sure if I would have it because I have done some research about the effects of ultrasound on the baby, and it is not all that great. In the end, we decided that we would have it done, and the results would help us prepare, if there are any problems that show up (heart defects, etc). Of course, we are hoping everything will be OK, but you just never know.

When we had the 12 weeks NT scan and triple test done, we discussed what would happen if we got bad results. As it turns out our results were great, but they are still only statistics on whether the baby has markers for certain genetic problems. Mick and I were of differing options about what we would do, and luckily we didn't have to deal with those options in the end.

Last night, I read this blog:
http://enjoyingthesmallthings.blogspot.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html

and I couldn't stop crying. This family had no idea that their child had Down's Syndrome, and it is very honest blog about how they were feeling at the time. I look at the pictures though, especially the first front on one of Nella, and you can see the look in her eyes, she is begging "please love me", and how could you not. DS is not a death sentence, and many children are highly functioning, but I can understand how people would be devastated. If this is an outcome that we end up with, and believe me this is one of the better outcomes, I know that I will love this baby regardless.

In other news, I am now 19 weeks 2 days pregnant, still looking fat, and people at school are looking at me as though "is she, or isn't she?" it is actually funny to watch them mull it over. The boys went back to school last Thursday and they are both happy with their new teachers. Harry is in 4/5W with Mrs Wallace, who we don't really know at all. Charlie is in 2B and has Mrs Barsley, who Harry had is Year 1. She is really nice too, and was great for Harry.

On Monday, Matilda had her first day at Pre-school, and she absolutely loved it. She has Tanya and Maureen (who was also the boy's teacher there), and she just had the best two days. No tears or tantrums, so I am hoping the trend will continue next week too.

So, on Monday Mum came down for the day, to help me cope with my baby going off to school. When she arrived Mick was home, and we decided, since his birthday was the next day, we would go to lunch at Silver Spur. On the way, we decided to drop into Panther Motors and have a quick look at the Holden Jackaroo we have been looking at as a possible replacement car for the Falcon (because, or course, we need 6 seats). The Jackaroo had been advertised as a 7 seater, but when we rang the dealer said the third row of seats had been taken out. We decided to have a look anyway, just to get an idea of size and price. Our plan was to replace the Falcon with a low Kilometre 7 seater (4X4), and get a fairly newish small car for Mick to drive to work to save on petrol costs. As it turns out, the dealer could source some third row seats and have them trimmed to the same colour, and in the yard we found a Hyundai Getz 2007 with very low kms, for a great price too. So that afternoon we bought two cars, for just over $20,000, with the help of Mick's Dad and his wife.

Today, Mick, Matilda and I caught the bus, and a taxi to the Car dealer, and drove home our new cars. It is so exciting. I thought we would end up with an old, but OK condition car, and I would still have no car. Instead, we both have beautiful, shiny newish cars, in really good condition. Will post pictures soon.


Comments

Popular Posts