Wow, so much has happened in the last 7 months.

I can't believe it has been so long since I have blogged.  I could say I have been extremely busy, and I have, but not so much that I couldn't have written about it.  So here is a little update on what has been happening around the Duncan household.

Lets start with Harry.  My biggest boy turned 12 this year, and started his high school days at a Selective High School.  I was mostly terrified about how he would be travelling to and from school by train and bus/walk.  The very first day he got on the wrong train to come home, and he handled it with a maturity I was worried he would never find.  He got off at the next station, rang me to let me know and told me his plan.  He was completely calm, and completely fine.  Mostly I don't worry too much about the travel part now, but he does need a new mobile phone, just in case.


School wise, the homework is never ending, and he really doesn't like that, but his half yearly report was pretty good.  We are happy with how he has started the year, and with a little more guidance, he will start to get on top of the time management issues.  I remember I struggled with that problem too.  On a personal level, he has made some good friends, and we are very happy about that.

Charlie is currently in Year 5 and he is doing so well.  He does really well at school, and he has a great friend.  He has recently graduated from the last swimming lesson class available, and although he doesn't really like swimming all that much, he is starting the Kid4fitness swimming classes until he decides if he is going to play football next year.  He is also going really well at Tennis.  I am predicting that he will be taller than my by the end of next year, and he has a size 10 foot.


Matilda is in Year 2 and is, as usual, having a blast.  She loves school, and she loves her friends.  We just celebrated her 8th birthday, and I still can't believe she is that old already.  She is kicking arse at Tae Kwon Do and recently achieved her blue belt.  Pretty good considering she has been only doing it for 12 months.  Her swimming has really come along, and she is doing really well at tennis too.


Amelia is 3.  When did that happen??  I no longer have a baby, I have a big girl, so she keeps telling me.  At 3 she reminds me a little of Harry, but with more of Charlie's laid-back attitude.  She can diva it up though, just like her sister.  I think she is going to be tall, but maybe not quite as tall as Matilda.  She has smaller feet though.  She is still sleeping with me, but we have recently night weaned, and she has coped quite well with it.  She is a booby monster during the day though, and I allow her to demand feed because she is no longer having it at night.  I can tell that my supply is dropping though, because she definitely doesn't feed for as long on each side anymore.  When she is ready to stop I am going to be a little sad, but we have had an amazing breastfeeding journey.  I feel like I healed a little after the abrupt ending of Matilda's breastfeeding.

Mick and Harry are off to Malaysia soon, and I think it will do them some good to get away together and bond.  This year is going so fast, and I find it hard to keep up sometimes.

For me, this year has been about expanding my bubble.  I kept it tight around me and my family for such a long time, and it was time for me to do something for just me.  So what did I do??  I joined the wonderful and fast growing sport of Roller Derby, and I LOVE IT.  It is fast, hard and scary, and I am not very good...yet!!  I can do the basic skating.  I thank all those years of skating as a child on the only piece of smooth road around our block in my home town.  I can do the falls, and the jump, and a little of the blocking and hitting, but I still have a fear of being hurt in a pack of scary, experienced players.  After all I am not a young woman, and I am certainly not in the best shape of my life.  But I still go, because I know I will get better each time, and eventually I won't be scared.

So that is where we are at.



Comments

Popular Posts