A wonderful change of lifestyle

Over the past 12 weeks I have made a big change to my lifestyle after reading this book and I wanted to talk a little about it.

I am a sugar addict.  There I said it.  I am totally and thoroughly addicted to sugar.  Over the past few years I have easily downed a large packet of Crispy M&M's, a while block of chocolate and more A DAY.  I ate whatever I wanted, when ever I wanted and had no concept of fullness or empty.

12 weeks ago, after discussing how lethargic I was feeling with my MIL, she suggested The Sweet Poison Quit Plan.  I scoffed at her and told her there was no way I could survive without chocolate.

You know what, I haven't had chocolate for 12 WEEKS.  I read the first of David Gillespie's book, and understanding the science behind what sugar does to our body was mind-blowing.  Refined sugar is made up of Glucose and Fructose, and it is the fructose in foods that can cause so much damage to our bodies.

Fructose takes away the body's ability to tell when it is full.  That is why you can eat heaps and heaps of chocolate.  This was one of the biggest things for me.  I was always starving, but never really felt full, so I just kept eating and eating.

After two weeks of not eating sugar (fructose), I could tell when I was full, and when I was really hungry and I could eat to satisfaction without overeating.  I have weeks where I am extremely hungry (i.e. when I have my period), and sometimes I plateau on my weight loss, but it is not a big deal, because the weight loss is a side effect of my change in lifestyle.  Don't get me wrong, I love that I am losing weight, but I feel better in myself and I no longer feel that weight loss is the be all to end all in life.  Still, it is good to be able to say that not eating sugar has helped my to shed 11.1 kgs from my body.  I have more energy and I sleep better and I am happy.

I no longer crave a sugar high to get me through the day, and I am enjoying the different foods I can eat without starving myself.  I can go to a Christmas celebration and not have to "break" my diet by eating naughty things because I don't want to eat the sugar laden foods.  I can still enjoy a roast dinner, with potatoes and vegetables, or a BBQ and salad with friends.  I have the occasional McDonalds, and I love Mixed Kebabs with cheese and sour cream.  I don't feel like I am missing out, and the whole family is benefitting from the change.  Mick has also lost 14 kgs, and the kids are getting use to sugar-free snacks, although they are still allowed a little treat now and then.

Comments

Good one Shelly. The health benefits to those of us who have made the conscious choice to kick the fructose addiction are many fold and it is wonderful how all 'other' foods taste so much more tastier.
Hi Shelly,

I kicked the sugar habit in April after overdosing on Easter eggs and feeling completely disgusting. I agree that I feel better, don't crave sweet things, and there isn't the afternoon dip anymore. Last weekend I attended a high tea and ate lots of bad sugary things - which didn't actually appeal but I felt sort of obligated to eat. I paid for it for three days - stomach issues, cramps and generally felt like I'd been run over by a bus. I still have a glass of white wine and I'm sure there are hidden sugars in some of the things I eat but I really don't find it hard to say no - it's made a huge difference to the way I feel and as a consequence I also lost some weight and no longer feel bloated all the time. I agree that it's a wonderful change of lifestyle.

Popular Posts